Data Driven Pages - Series Index

04-20-2010 09:14 AM
JacobTerstriep
New Contributor II
Is there a way in the new data driven pages to easily create a series index based on a specific feature and series page number and/or grid number.  For example with map book i was able to create a series index for a centerline file in relation to what page number and grid section, ie maple street - Pg 5 -  D6, and export that list to an excel file.
This was a very handy one step process within DS Map Book
0 Kudos
28 Replies
JoelCalhoun
New Contributor III
I just attended a half-day workshop on Map Automation in ArcGIS 10 and someone asked that very question.
The answer was no.  Though it duplicates much of the fucntionality, data driven pages is currently not designed as replacement for DS Map Book or PLTS Map Atlas.

Joel
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
The proper answer is YES, at 10.0 there is a new set of tools called "Data Driven Pages" that have the equivalent utilities that were available in DS MapBook menu:

Strip Map Index Features makes a strip map
Grid Map Index Features makes a grid of sheets
Calculate Adjacent Fields (containing adjacent sheet names )
... and three more relating to UTM zones, convergence and central meridians
0 Kudos
KimOllivier
The proper answer is YES, at 10.0 there is a new set of tools called "Data Driven Pages" that have the equivalent utilities that were available in DS MapBook menu:

I mis-understood that you wanted a text based index. Someone will have to write that in Python as a new resource. Can't be too hard with data driven pages. Might give it a go myself when I have time. I remember an AML tool that did this.
0 Kudos
JimCreighton
New Contributor III
The ability to create a text index of streets showing the page/grid they're in is critical to the many map books I make/maintain.   Since it appears Data Driven pages won't do this, has anyone come up with a reasonable (i.e. quick and no additional cost) alternative?  I'm suspecting there's no way to make DSMapBook run in ArcMap 10, which I've now switched over to - am I right on that?
0 Kudos
JasonScheirer
It can be done in Python, for the time being, with ReportLab (a third-party PDF authoring library).

There's a demo script of this on the resource center: link.
0 Kudos
BretAllphin
New Contributor
Note to ArcView users (myself included), you won't be able to use the solution found in the link, as this tool references two other toolbox tools (Point to Feature and Frequency) that are not available at the ArcView license level.

How and why this functionality was essentially left out is maddening to me, ha. /end rant
0 Kudos
StuartBlumberg
New Contributor II
During a seminar on data-driven-pages at the ESRI User Conference the presenter use Python to create a series index.  At the time he said the script had not yet been released.  I am looking for that script now.  The index looked really nice, like the index in the back of a reference book.
0 Kudos
NathanKizer
New Contributor
Has anyone come across a solution for arcview users yet? I'm close to finishing up a mapbook project and need a street index. Right now my best solution is to use our other computer running 9.3 to recreate what I've already done to get my index. I'd rather try to avoid double work if possible.
0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor
I have a mapbook with 1,440 pages that label neighboring tiles and I do not see a good reason to upgrade to 10 based on what I have tried and have read.

Can anyone advise how to convert existing data driven text and adjacent tiles from DS in 9 to Data Driven Pages in 10.  Also what is a good way to export random pages, I do not use page numbers but a name instead.

jim
0 Kudos