ArcMap PDF Export > 1.6 (Acrobat 7.x)

03-05-2021 12:14 PM
LukeAllen2
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I noticed that whenever I export a pdf map from ArcMap that it is exported as pdf version '1.6 (Acrobat 7.x).

With my recent mapbooks I noticed that some of the raster images dont load in completely when panning through multiple pdfs while using the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader/Pro.

It seems like this is an older version of acrobat (7.x?) so I had a theory that maybe that was what was perhaps causing the issue, my ArcMap seems to export at this version by default, is there anyway I can force it to export at a newer version?

I attached an image of the properties of one pdf I just exported from ArcMap.

FYI - I am using ArcMap 10.7 and trying to export multiple pdfs (800+) using data driven pages.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LukeAllen2
Occasional Contributor

Anybody from ESRI able to offer any insight? 

0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

We have this problem sometimes with big exports (large high resolution), but it seems to be limited to SDE rasters (usually hillshades). Our file based imagery does not have this issue, and SDE-based vector layers sometimes also do not draw fully. Clearly, a network hiccup.

Another common possibility is that your PDFs are not rendering everything ArcMap exported; if you zoom in and wait, can you see what you are missing?  Have you tried printed the affected pages?

0 Kudos
LukeAllen2
Occasional Contributor

Hi  @DanaNolan ,

I actually ended up contacting Adobe about this issue, I'm pretty sure its due to their current version of Adobe Acrobat Pro through Adobe Creative Cloud, prior to CC I never had this issue on the older versions of Adobe and the issue does not occur in Foxit Reader so I do not think my issue was originating from anything ESRI related. 

Also my raster imagery was filed based and I was still getting this issue.

My uneducated assumption is its some issue with the rendering of the layers in the latest Adobe Acrobat Pro. I noticed if I optimized the pdf by reducing file size/raster quality the layers would all draw in, the trade off being the image quality is less than ideal.

I did a video conference call with Adobe where they were able to reproduce the issue on their side too and they logged it as a bug, the last I heard from my contact person there was they were targeting a fix for May in the next update they release...I'm skeptically optimistic - the feedback I got from other users on their forum was that they were not the greatest at addressing similar user submitted bugs to them.🤔🙂

0 Kudos