Select to view content in your preferred language

Add XY data Latitude Category empty upon re using

Jump to solution
10-14-2015 10:22 AM
EricOstrowski
Deactivated User

Whenever I add XY data from a .CSV file the latitude category disappears when I reopen the .CSV file after uploading more data.

Is there a reason why my latitude category disappears when I try to update my coordinates?

The latitude coordinates are present in the .CSV but the option to choose those latitude coordinates is gone.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Darren may be on to something with the potential space in the field name before the Lat and Long fields.  As a test you could try several things

• just export the Lat and Long data to a separate file and see if it imports
  • move the lat and long fields to the beginning of the file and see if it imports
  • fix the field name
  • ensure there are no blank rows of empty values to be on the safe side.
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

in addition to Darren's and Dan's suggestions about formatting, it is possible that the & specifically, and possibly the commas in the address field are causing issues.

To fix the Trap Series field name, change it to TrapSeries or Trap_Series will help. Check other column names for spaces too.

If "live linked" as Chris mentioned, you may need to save your mxd or even close and reopen to get the changes to update.  However, if you have to "event theme" from the AddXY set up, you shouldn't have to recreate it, the changes should appear automatically. It may be that if this event is already there, that trying to create a new version is prevented because the csv is locked with the other event table, and therefore would allow it to be created again. I'm not 100% positive about this, but logically I can see this being an issue.

EricOstrowski
Deactivated User

Removing the spaces from the category names and placing the lat & long fields at the beginning of the file solved the issue.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

A question - is your .csv "live-linked" to your existing spatial data or after adding new data you are importing it as if it was a totally new file?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
EricOstrowski
Deactivated User

Yes it is "live-linked" to existing spatial data.

0 Kudos