Geocoder properties or centerline attributes

07-14-2020 11:27 AM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Looking for a solution to locate a horse shape street which intersects the same street twice. Example would be locating the correct intersection of accidents or crime data.centerline example

0 Kudos
19 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

How is the location reported to the responders in the initial call?

If someone is calling from a cell phone the call will not geocode I believe.  The caller has to tell the dispatcher where they are.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Yes the its called in. Then the dispatcher enters the address or location into our software. The locations are mapped using a geocoding service. I have three or four streets as describe above.  I haven't really dug into the geocoding options. My first thought was using N, E, W, and S designations. Like in the figure above would have Fiesta Way (W) and Fiesta Way (E). But I don't want to use the designations as part of the street name. 

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Yes they are called in. Sorry for the typo..

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

To properly geocode an address the centerlines have to be set up with address ranges.

A common set up is   FromLeft, FromRight, ToLeft, and ToRight. Centerline direction should be oriented in increasing direction. 

In a basic example say the right hand intersection of your example is where the lowest numbers are. And the left hand side is odd and the right is even. 

Say the first house on the left is 205,  you may want your FromLeft to be 201. and the FromRight to be 200

However, in this case chances are no more houses will be built on this street so you could start with 205 and the FromRight should be one higher or lower. 

To further complicate things geocoding works better when your polyline segments are shorter.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I'm sorry for not being more descriptive. Say we have a call comes in and is described at the intersection of Fiesta Way and Lewis Street. Our software is using my geocoder which has left and right ranges. However the geocoder will locate intersections by entering the street names. Example: Fiesta Way @ Lewis. I'm trying to figure out how I can Identify which intersection to properly locate the call.

Your idea of a shorter segment might work.. I was hoping the geocoder options might have something I can use to identify the correct location. As it is now it only produces one return or location. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chet:

Just curious, what tool did you use to create the locator you are using to search for the intersections? Was it in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

-Shana

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

ArcMap US Single House with Subaddresses 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm confused: you mention that your geocoder 'has ranges' yet you also mention that you deploy a single house with sub unit locator style.  Do you have a dual range and a single house in a composite?

In the 15 years I worked in 9-1-1 dispatch, I always avoided (as in never used) a point feature classfor intersections and let the centerline data take care of that in the dual range.  If you have redundant intersections as shown in your illustration, I suggest a General Single Field for a point of interest or ommon name type of locator.  The Gazeteer works in that role as well.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I'm sorry. I'm also using US Dual Range Addresses. Our CAD is still work in progress. I have address points at the intersections but the software defaults back to the Centerline Geocoder when no street number is entered. We have three streets that are horseshoe shape which creates two intersections with the same names.. The Centerline Geocoder picks the lowest coordinate value to display the location. No matter what the solution is its going to take some training for the dispatchers to properly enter the correct location. Any suggestions is much appreciated..

0 Kudos