Geocoder properties or centerline attributes

07-14-2020 11:27 AM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Looking for a solution to locate a horse shape street which intersects the same street twice. Example would be locating the correct intersection of accidents or crime data.centerline example

0 Kudos
19 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

We have three streets that are horseshoe shape...

Does your CAD have the ability to use a Common Names type of locator?  I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 named locations like 7-11s, Banks by name, Schools etc in a common names database that I used as part of the composite geocoder the CAD used. (I even had a common name called 'Joes House' since I had a couple of sons who loved lighters and matches...) With the common names approach you could easily 'name' those intersections as north, south, etc.

At any rate, I suggest looking at the capabilities of your CAD and see how you can improve it's performance by feeding it various GIS data.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Yes I believe it does. I need to dig into the program some more and its capabilities.. Thank you for your input... 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Can I ask what CAD you are using?  I used Spillman and Versaterm and both of those used common place names.  Pretty much any CAD worth it's salt will.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I believe its call Vantage Points (GTI). Authority CAD is working in the background.

The person overseeing the project left. He asked me for datasets (services) and Geocoders but had no idea of all the caveats associated with mapping inputs.. And I had no idea what he was using them for.. So I'm trying to step up and fix some of our issues. Most of the calls are being mapped.. I got a few alternate names I need to fix as well. And our city limits splits two counties..   I worked for the County I live and we always used Straight Line Mileage (Mile Markers) for locations and inventory. Here at the city they use addresses only. We just had an 911 call on our bikepath and no way of locating the call.. It's tough to convince the organization that has done things the same way for years to make the necessary changes or adjustments.

Sorry probably more information then you needed to hear..

I appreciate your interest..  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

We have a systems of trails that I just treated as streets, so they were named and ranged just like any street.  But nobody is going to call in and say 'I just crashed my bike at 1234 Bike Trail' so I used common names along there as well.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I have suggested painting mile markers on the our trails. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Some of ours have actual mile posts with the trail name that are pretty cool. Makes it a no-brainer when someone crashes their new electro-bike doing 30 without a helmet.

Play that public safety card and you'll be surprised how many people get interested and things start to happen, like finding and spending money.

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Nice.. At least your organization utilizes mile post..  

Our longest trail segment is along a river and is in the floodplain. Signs probably wouldnt make it after the spring rains..

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe, have you tried using the Distance Marker role yet when you build a locator with the Create Locator tool? Primary locator roles—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I haven't.  Got 2.6 intalled but other work has taken me from geocode testing.

0 Kudos