Solutions Deployment Tool - Does it Upgrade, Too?

Jump to solution
06-01-2020 02:56 PM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I've deployed several local government solutions using the Solutions Deployment Tool in Pro. Since deployment, nearly all of the solutions have changed in some way to fix bugs or otherwise enhance the tools. Do I have to redeploy these solutions from scratch if I want the changes? Or does the deployment tool know how to upgrade a solution that is already active?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

The Solution Deployment Tool will not upgrade or modify any already deployed items, this is because once deployed the items can be modified and would be very difficult for us to push the enhancements in place. However, when you deploy an update we will only create new versions of the enhanced items. For example if we enhanced a web application in the solution we will only deploy the new web application, on top of the existing web map and feature layers in your organization. So you won't need to re-load your data. If we need to modify the layers to change the schema we will deploy the new layers and maps and apps on top of the layers.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

The Solution Deployment Tool will not upgrade or modify any already deployed items, this is because once deployed the items can be modified and would be very difficult for us to push the enhancements in place. However, when you deploy an update we will only create new versions of the enhanced items. For example if we enhanced a web application in the solution we will only deploy the new web application, on top of the existing web map and feature layers in your organization. So you won't need to re-load your data. If we need to modify the layers to change the schema we will deploy the new layers and maps and apps on top of the layers.