Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy Editor COGO to Construction in Parcel Editor Issue

03-04-2015 11:49 AM
ChadPollard
Emerging Contributor

Has anyone experienced this problem when copying Editor COGO lines to Parcel Editor Construction?  When create the COGO lines in Editor, then try to copy and paste the lines into the Fabric, point number one (always anchored at a GDAC Survey Point) often times is reordered and the anchor point becomes another number in the sequence.  And if it's not adjusted, error messages will ensue.  I have attached a PDF file to illustrate my question.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Chad,

I noticed a few things that may help to resolve this. The sequence of lines from point 15 to point 2 (or 21?) should have their category set to "Origin Connection". On the second line of the lines grid, should the From point be set to 2? The first line in the grid goes from 1 to 2, but then it does not look like 2 is connected to another boundary line. The boundary lines should form a closed loop, and the other lines would be marked as "connection", or "origin connection" lines. You could change these categories in the construction after you've pasted the lines. The difference between Origin connection lines and Connection lines, is that the origin connection lines are entered first, starting at a commencement point, with bearings headed towards the parcel's point of beginning, whereas connection lines are added after the boundary loop has been formed, they are added with bearings that are in a direction away from the parcel boundary point. Also, note that once the parcel has been entered, it may still need to be joined/connected to the rest of the fabric. There can be rotation on the parcel, prior to joining, because it may have a different basis of bearing from the existing parcel data.

-Tim

0 Kudos
ChadPollard
Emerging Contributor

Thank you Tim for the reply.  It's much appreciated.

I absolutely understand everything that you discussed.  This is how I'm entering the COGO.  When I first receive the legal description, instead of using Parcel Editor first, I go just Editor by itself.  Here, I use the Traverse Window to enter my COGO.  I do this because here we use Workflow Manager to create a new job (i.e. a Version) to do editing.  If something is not right with the legal description, or a number of other possible issues, it's a process to delete the job from Workflow Manager.  So I begin by using Editor by itself first.  Unfortunately, in Editor, as far as I know, there is no way to designate a line as an origin connection.  So I just enter the COGO and then save my edits if everything looks good.  At this point, I create a job through Workflow Manager and it opens another mxd where now I am able to work within the Parcel Fabric.  I then drag and drop the feature class into this mxd.  I do exactly as the online help describes to do by using the Edit Tool in Editor to copy and paste the COGO lines into the Parcel Editor Grid.  This is exactly when the reorder happens.  Now, it doesn't happen every time.  There are some times when point number one starts where it should; normally at the GDAC section corner or quarter corner where I begin the traverse.  But many times it turns out just like the example that I gave.

Some of my coworkers brought this issue up with ESRI.  They said that ESRI is not really sure why this is happening.  And to this day, nobody is really sure what exactly there is that can be done.  Some coworkers start deleting rows and adding rows and recalculating get it fixed.  I just delete the whole thing and then I start over, reentering the lines into Parcel Editor.  My first point being the "Point of commencement" from the legal description.

Anyway, I hope I'm making sense, and if you or anyone you know has any more information about this, I would be happy to hear it.  Thank you again for your reply.

0 Kudos