ArcGIS Desktop Cloud Setup Concern

07-06-2018 08:30 AM
Labels (2)
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I understand that there are many benefits when you have your ArcGIS Desktop setup in the cloud. I like to get some insights on what others have done within their organization regarding their ArcGIS Desktop setup. The reason I ask this is that we have a special case here where we are working on a specific project where data are often sent to us externally throughout the day and on a daily basis. We do currently have our setup including our gis data repository in the cloud. The time it takes to migrate the data into the cloud just to view and process it and also having the need to repackage and move out of the cloud back to the client can be very time-consuming. Based on this, I am wondering if it even makes sense to have ArcGIS desktop setup in the cloud. Any input on this matter will be much appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Hey Sam, 

ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Pro can both be deployed on the cloud.  Many customers do this today with great success. Here's a couple things to review on the documentation side:

Cloud virtualization—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.x system requirements—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop Scroll down about half of the way and there's the recommendations for AWS and Azure listed.

ArcGIS Desktop Licensing in the Cloud Whitepaper: 

https://downloads.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/arcgis_desktop_licensing_in_cloud_environments.p...  

I'd be happy to discuss further or answer any specific questions you have here, or next week at the UC if you are attending.

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jacob. I will definitely go through the documents you provided since we are indeed struggling to get arcgis pro virtualized (it is slow on the cloud at the moment).

With that being said, my question is more towards the validity of having arcgis desktop setup on the cloud if we are required to receive data from external source. This means we would constantly need to move data in and out throughout the day and on a daiily basis. This becomes very time consuming. I understand the benefit of having it on the cloud, but am wondering that maybe having a local setup is more appropriate for this particular use case as we avoid having to spend significant time on transferring data in and out of the cloud?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Unfortunately I regret to inform  you that I will not be able to attend the conference this year.

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Hey Sam, 

I'd like to recommend considering setting up a file share location on AWS or Azure.  I would suggest virtualization your desktop, like you stated, then load the data to an object storage account like I've linked to below.  Data can be moved to the container mentioned above and ingested from there directly to the virtual desktop, cutting down the number of back and forth. Also, both have Python Libraries that would allow you to automate much of this.

AWS File Storage - Cloud Object Storage | Store & Retrieve Data Anywhere | Amazon Simple Storage Service 

Azure File Storage - File Storage | Microsoft Azure 

AWS SDK for Python - AWS SDK for Python  

Azure SDK for Python - GitHub - Azure/azure-sdk-for-python: Microsoft Azure SDK for Python  

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.