No Data gaps

Jump to solution
03-15-2021 11:22 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

I've built my mosaic dataset out of two mosaic datasets each with different resolution imagery. It looks great but I have gaps of No Data (little white strips) where the footprints from of one of the datasets lies. It only appears at certain scales though. How can I eliminate these No Data strips? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

If you include a screen shot of what you are seeing it will be easier to identify the issue.  At what scales to you or don't you see these gaps? If you load the two as separate datasets in Pro do you also see gaps?  If the gaps appear at the smaller scales the issues could be related to the pyramids in the dataset and how they were created. Each pyramid level is typically 1/2 resolution of the previous. If the number of rows/columns is not divisible by 2 then the apparent image may shrink by 1 pixel, which can appear as a gap if there is not overlap between the images. This is why it is always better to have some overlap between datasets that are cut into tiles. The other issue maybe related to if the image is being clipped by footprints or boundary. Check following settings

PeterBecker_0-1615840822600.png

Clipping the imagery by footprints or boundary is an optimization (especially for overlapping images), but if they are not defined well then they can results in gaps. Try turning the clipping off to see if this is the case.

Remember if you have generated overviews then then the overviews would have been created based on the settings when the overview was created, so you may want to exclude them or use lockraster on the source images to see the effect without overviews

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Common if Spatial Reference Systems and/or applied MDS transforms don't match.  Check these settings in your source data and MDS.

Todd

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

If you include a screen shot of what you are seeing it will be easier to identify the issue.  At what scales to you or don't you see these gaps? If you load the two as separate datasets in Pro do you also see gaps?  If the gaps appear at the smaller scales the issues could be related to the pyramids in the dataset and how they were created. Each pyramid level is typically 1/2 resolution of the previous. If the number of rows/columns is not divisible by 2 then the apparent image may shrink by 1 pixel, which can appear as a gap if there is not overlap between the images. This is why it is always better to have some overlap between datasets that are cut into tiles. The other issue maybe related to if the image is being clipped by footprints or boundary. Check following settings

PeterBecker_0-1615840822600.png

Clipping the imagery by footprints or boundary is an optimization (especially for overlapping images), but if they are not defined well then they can results in gaps. Try turning the clipping off to see if this is the case.

Remember if you have generated overviews then then the overviews would have been created based on the settings when the overview was created, so you may want to exclude them or use lockraster on the source images to see the effect without overviews

0 Kudos
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

The gaps appear when I zoom in and disappear when I zoom out. Of the 2 suggestions you suggested, the 2nd one sounds more probable. Attached is two screen shots showing the gaps

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, looks like an issue with either the source images not actually being 100% connected or footprints clipping and the projection of straight lines causing some artifacts. Also consider using the merge option on each set of source dataset. This will virtually merge the images into a single item the mosaic dataset. Don't go overboard on this. IE try to keep the number of rasters per merge to <100.

0 Kudos