Mr SID & ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
10-03-2023 07:45 AM
Labels (1)
JD1016
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have a 3-inch resolution, Mr. SID, RGB, web mercator auxuiliary sphere mosaic that weighs in at 24 gigs.

I'd very much like to add this imagery to my basemap gallery in arcgis online to make it available to both my internal and mobile clients.

In the past I've created tile packages, let Desktop do the processing, and uploaded it to ArcGIS Online but not with a mosaic at this size.

It's my understanding you cannot create a tile package using a Mr. SID image.  Is that correct?

I've also heard that converting it to a TIF using JPEG YCbCr for compression at 75% will gain you an even larger product.  Is that correct?

If all of those are correct, then how can I get this imagery into ArcGIS Online to be used as a hosted tile layer from an uploaded tile package?

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out the Extract Package tool for getting the files out of the tile pack.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/extract-package.htm

Seems silly to do it in two tools, but I don't know if there's a direct method to just output the tiles in a folder structure in the first place. At least, not in ArcGIS.

Since you basemap gallery is made up of web maps, it really doesn't matter where the tiles are coming from. Our basemaps use a custom URL from where the tiles are stored, so I add the layer via URL, then save the web map and share it to our basemap group.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's my understanding you cannot create a tile package using a Mr. SID image. Is that correct?

No, that's not correct. When you publish a tile package to AGOL, the input file can be any recognized raster format. Many of our basemap tiles started as SIDs.

If you publish a hosted imagery service from it, you will end up moving the entire file to AGOL, which will cost you lots of credits. But you get the option to manage the cache on AGOL. If you just generate a tile package locally, you can publish that to AGOL itself, and at least save the SID storage space.

Another alternative is to generate your tile cache as a directory of tile images. Instead of a .tpkx file or what have you, it would be JPEGs in nested folders like 4/14/233.jpg.

Once you have those tiles generated, you can just drop them on any publicly-accessible file hosting platform or web server (we use AWS S3), and you can add the imagery service to your maps using a url like http://web-host/your-tileset-name/{z}/{x}/{y}.jpg and the web map will grab the tiles based on the visible extent and zoom level.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JD1016
by

I've never generated a tile cache as a directory of tile images.  That interesting.  All my current aerials were uploaded via a tile package and "unwrapped" so to speak in AGO saving the credits as you mentioned.  These are then added to the Basemap Gallery widget for each of my applications so the user can select different aerial years for viewing and swapping out the basemap backdrop as they go along.

Is there any documentation accessible discussing the generation of a tile cache as a directory of tile images?

How would this work in conjunction with my current setup using the Basemap Gallery widget for my other aerials?

Thanks.

Jeff

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out the Extract Package tool for getting the files out of the tile pack.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/extract-package.htm

Seems silly to do it in two tools, but I don't know if there's a direct method to just output the tiles in a folder structure in the first place. At least, not in ArcGIS.

Since you basemap gallery is made up of web maps, it really doesn't matter where the tiles are coming from. Our basemaps use a custom URL from where the tiles are stored, so I add the layer via URL, then save the web map and share it to our basemap group.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JD1016
by

Excellent!  Thank you, Josh!

Jeff

0 Kudos