Census 2010 Blocks & Population Tables

Jump to solution
01-27-2020 12:31 PM
Labels (2)
NEidenAZ
New Contributor II

Hello! I'm new to using Census data and am having trouble finding total population tables for all 50 states & DC to join to TIGER block geometry. I've spent many hours exploring Census web & ftp sites, and have only come across a complicated file structure that once unzipped resulted in 3 files with a *.pl extension. And I'm not sure if Total Population is in there.

While impressed with the amount of data that Census generates and provides as tables, I only need Total Population tables to join to block geometry. I've already ftp'd down the block geometries for the nation.

It seems so simple...I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious. Can someone point me - a newbie Census data user - in the right direction? 

Thank you!! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NEidenAZ
New Contributor II

Update-I found a link which I'm including here as an aid for others. 

ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2010BLKPOPHU 

Here's a screenshot of the attribute table

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NEidenAZ
New Contributor II

Update-I found a link which I'm including here as an aid for others. 

ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2010BLKPOPHU 

Here's a screenshot of the attribute table

SpencerKusi
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for covering this topic. Noticed the link to the table appears to be broken.

Here's a link that I that I was able to get to work for similar data: https://www.census.gov/geographies/mapping-files/time-series/geo/tiger-line-file.2010.html 

To navigate there on the top menu, on Census.gov I went to -> 'Explore by Topic' -> 'Geographies' -> Mapping Files.

Then on the list of data by year, it is found by clicking 'More' -> '2010'.

Screen Cap:

0 Kudos