Select to view content in your preferred language

large raster to google maps

10-12-2014 07:47 AM
roialgavish
New Contributor III

Hello,

I need to convert a large raster to kml or kmz. I had read all of the old discussions and some other discussions in the web. And I wasn’t able to find an answer to that problem. For now I refuses to believe that there isn’t a simple way to convert a large raster to kml or kmz.

So I will ask again. I have a large raster and I need it to be converted to google maps. The layer to kml tool isn’t working good. So what am I doing wrong? Or is there another simple way?

Thank you all,

Roi Algavish.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

isn't working good?  Does that mean that you are getting error messages?  Does the procedure work with smaller files?  Have you tried to add incrementally increasing file sizes?  Perhaps there is a break point.

0 Kudos
roialgavish
New Contributor III

Hello Dan,

The tool produces a small file, and when i open it either in google maps or in goolge earth it isn’t displayed well. I am not aware to the "incrementally increasing file sizes" option. Or to the meaning of a "break point". I have tried to increase the output image properties but I cant understand what are the correct parameters.

thank you,

roi.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Regular Contributor

You could just overlay the image in google earth and 'georeference' it by resizing it. Here is the help guide Overlay features - Earth Help

0 Kudos
roialgavish
New Contributor III

Hello,

Actually I want to build an automated process using python that will work on allot of rasters, for that I need to understand if the "layer to kml" tool can produce a good kml from a large raster or maybe I need to use another set of tool. I have read the tool help and still haven’t manage to understand how to create a large size kml. When I tried to increase the number of the "output image properties" neither google earth or google maps was able  to open the file correctly.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Regular Contributor

Google Earth Pro allows you to add raster images directly to Google Earth.  Here is a link that provides some methods to add raster data to Google Earth.  At the bottom there is a list of tools that can convert different GIS data formats to KML.  Google Earth Outreach   These may be worth a try.

I have experienced similar behavior in raster to kml conversion.  The image doesn't come out as 'cleanly' as it went in.  I'm not sure there is a setting you can change to make the output file fit your needs.

0 Kudos
roialgavish
New Contributor III

Hello steven.

Unfortunately I want to use it as a part of a python script. This is why the tool is important.  Thank you for the answer I hope that a more "official" solution will come up. it is strange that the tool itself can't do what he is supposed to.

I will look more closely at your suggestions anyway, and maybe build a work around. But I still hope that there is a way through the ArcGIS desktop tools.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos