Select to view content in your preferred language

Help w/ figuring out the right approach

Jump to solution
08-23-2023 11:38 AM
Labels (2)
Arsheen
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to the community but have been an ArcMap and ArcPro user for a while. I haven't quite delved into other functions. 

I am trying to develop some form of map building app. The purpose of the app is to allow the user (typically non-ArcGIS user) to zoom to their project area, mark up or comment if needed, download it for offline use. 

The base layer of the map will be specific project areas that I have as a .SHP. I would like the user to be able to either select a feature as project area or highlight it in some way. 

The offline map can be an image file or PDF. 

I am not sure how to approach this. I thought an App would be the way forward. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Arsheen!

It is always good to identify the users and their needs, because their requirements play a significant role on the creation of your web map and web app. There are many options to start creating the map or the web map and later on the web app.

Here are some helpful links from Esri: 

1. Mapping and visualization in ArcGIS Desktop.

2. Feature class basics.

3. A quick tour of page layouts

4. Adding data from ArcGIS Online

5. Map export and printing

6. Exporting to PDF

Once you created and finalized your map then you can create a package file like layer package (.lpk) and map package (.mpk) and share it on line to create your web app. If you use ArcGIS Pro you can directly share your file to ArcGIS Online which makes the work easy, simple and interesting. Below is a link how to share data.

About packaging and sharing data

Just for tips

All the best,

Faiez

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Faiez
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Arsheen!

It is always good to identify the users and their needs, because their requirements play a significant role on the creation of your web map and web app. There are many options to start creating the map or the web map and later on the web app.

Here are some helpful links from Esri: 

1. Mapping and visualization in ArcGIS Desktop.

2. Feature class basics.

3. A quick tour of page layouts

4. Adding data from ArcGIS Online

5. Map export and printing

6. Exporting to PDF

Once you created and finalized your map then you can create a package file like layer package (.lpk) and map package (.mpk) and share it on line to create your web app. If you use ArcGIS Pro you can directly share your file to ArcGIS Online which makes the work easy, simple and interesting. Below is a link how to share data.

About packaging and sharing data

Just for tips

All the best,

Faiez