GIS Skype Interview

09-16-2014 03:32 AM
GailYearbury-Murphy
New Contributor II

Having never had a Skype interview before, am looking for pointers.  I have GIS degree, unused in industry as went off to have family first, now interviewing for GIS Officer position.  Any tips, hints?

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

interesting question...my answer has no bearing on the types of question but on the presentation environment if using video feed...clean the clutter behind you...put the cat outside etc etc You want your background to represent how professional you are

0 Kudos
GailYearbury-Murphy
New Contributor II

Thanks. Have done so. Also dressing like it would be a face to face interview .

0 Kudos
HabG_
by
Occasional Contributor

Apart from the common interview preparation protocols, the best way to prepare for the interview is to research the application of GIS in the field (position) you are being interviewed and refer the employer's website.

0 Kudos
GailYearbury-Murphy
New Contributor II

Thanks, that's what I thought and am in the process of doing.

0 Kudos
HabG_
by
Occasional Contributor

Good luck!

StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I was asked a lot of general questions in my interviews such as:

Explain the differences between shapefiles and geodatabases?

What is a domain?

What is the difference between vector and raster data?

What are the basic elements that should be on a printed map?

Here are some more general questions. learning resources - General GIS Questions for Job interviews - Geographic Information Systems Stack...

As referenced above, be professional, dress professional, be attentive.  Smile during your interview.  Emphasize your strengths and tell them you are working hard to fix areas that you consider weaknesses.

Make sure your Skype is working correctly.  Make some test calls to friends to test sound and microphone.

Good Luck!

Steven

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

As others suggested, dress like you would for a face to face interview. Usually question asked respond to skills that are within the position description.

I have noticed that a lot of questions are targeted to see how you would fit into the office and how your personality is.

Let us know how it went and good luck!

0 Kudos