Select to view content in your preferred language

How to buffer a polyline without overlap at verticies

03-09-2014 07:36 PM
JimPace
New Contributor
I have polyline tracks that I split at each vertex and then calculate attributes for each segment.  I then need to generate a buffer of each segment that keeps those attributes but not have any gaps or overlap at the ends (both flat end and round end do this).  I've played with this a long time and can't figure it out.  I'm trying to do something like the attached picture.  Any suggestions?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32063[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
23 Replies
SujanShrestha
New Contributor II

Hi Richard, is the tool/script to run based on centerline available? I'd like to be added to the list of interested people to use this workflow too. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks.

0 Kudos
StevenFama
New Contributor II

I'm lost!  What tool did you use to create the Buffer with flat ends?  The regular Buffer(Analysis) tool?

0 Kudos
KevinWarner1
New Contributor II

Michael Marz posted a straight-forward method for solving this issue at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gGrv3vRoM.  Yes, it's done in QGIS, but the same tools are available in ArcGIS (I used Erase where he used the QGIS Difference tool).  I tried both the method suggested in this thread as well as Michael's, and found his to be easier and cleaner by far.  I didn't need to do any manual cleanup or selection/deselection with Michael's method, which makes it very easy to build an automated process in Model Builder.  I had about 5000 road segments in my data.

AmyHox
by
New Contributor

Hey Kevin, I tried to go to the link you posted but it says that video is not available anymore 😩 When I tried searching for Michael Marz and QGIS I found some blog posts mentioning his name but it's like he disappeared from the face of the Earth! Do you remember what the gist of the process was?

0 Kudos