Topology Engine Error Codes?

07-23-2020 07:02 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can someone please provide or direct me to a list of what the various Topology Engine error codes are? When I validate my topology, I often get an error in the following format:

Error: ERROR 999999: A failure was detected inside the topology engine overlay processor. [error id: 139]

First of all, I'd love to know what error 139 is referring to so that I might address the issue. But more broadly, I simply want a concise list of all the topology engine errors, as I occasionally see other errors here that are not referenced anywhere in the support documents that I can find.

Does this list exist, and I simply cannot find it?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you validating a large area?

If so, can you validate a smaller area and get the same error?

Did you take the default values for tolerance when creating the topology?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It seems to depend on the density of the data. I do have areas that will not validate even when zoomed in beyond 1:1, but other areas are fine.

I did take the default tolerance of 0.02 feet. Do you think that is related?

UPDATE: Running it on smaller areas returns instead the error code 140.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

How many rules are being applied to an area when validating?

Do the features have lots of vertices?

Are you using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to validate topology?

Where is the topology located, i.e. file geodatabase (on network or local), enterprise geodatabase?

I would not zoom in that close as the data would appear inaccurate. It may be best to reach out to technical support on the errors as they may be able to dig in a little deeper.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  • There are maybe 2 dozen rules in all
  • Some have lots of vertices, some don't
  • We're using Pro
  • It's in an enterprise GDB
  • We don't typically do anything at that scale, I simply meant that the errors appear regardless of scale or extent.

So I'm guessing the short answer is "no", then? That there's not a simple list of what the error codes mean?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Not that I am aware of, this is something that support may be able to help with.

I do think that it may be a good thing to have them documented in the help.

--- George T.