Registering a spatial view in Oracle database

06-09-2016 03:15 AM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

How can I register a spatial view with an enterprise Oracle geodatabase?

What kind of code should I use in ArcSDE Command line? I am not aware of the registering code that should be used for oracle spatial views

Any help is highly appreciated!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

There are a number of existing threads giving this exact information, which could be located by using this question's title in the search bar (though fewer terms are better -- "register spatial view" would locate my answer to your previous question).  Please remember to include complete version details, for the version of ArcGIS in use, and for the database, in each post.

- V

HaniDraidi

Thanks for the valuable contribution Vince,

I am using Oracle 11g with ArcGIS Server 10.3.1. I searched for simillar posts for Oracle, but I did not find. May you please point me to a proper thread that can help me?

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The command syntax is exactly the same as the answer provided.  All that changes is the direct connect instance flag and the client library configuration.  Command-line tools are no longer supported, so if you are going to try to use them, you'll need to be creative.

A complete description for Oracle includes FIVE digits of release information (11.a.b.c.d)

- V

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

besides SDE commands an another way is to create a simple view from ArcCatalog

Capture.PNG

just add a simple sql statement

Capture1.PNG

in order to create a registered sde view

Capture2.PNG

finally from Oracle SQL Developer open and edit the sql statement in order to be the desired.

Capture3.PNG

HaniDraidi

Thanks Panagiotis for the helpful input,

Actually, what I am asking for is how to register the created spatial view (after creating a view with SHAPE field) with the oracle enterprise GDB?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PanagiotisPapadopoulos
Esri Regular Contributor

This also can be used for the existing views.

Create the simple view from the ArcCatalog and replaced the sql statement with what you have in the existing View.

This is a spatial view, if you see in the previous images the view ignored as SDE Feature Class. 

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi

Dear Vince,

As you mentioned above that Command Line Tools is no longer. I all the time wonder what is the new relative? I read a lot of articles published by Esri about this, but I never found how I can register a spatial view with enterprise GDB. May you please elaborate more how I can do this without ArcSDE Command Line Tools?

Best,

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

There is no other way at this time to register a view with the geodatabase outside of the SDE command line tools (to my knowledge).

There have been many post related to this topic on GeoNet and ArcGIS Ideas. I found these post by searching GeoNet.

Spatial view metadata

Spatial view Problem -- Another GeoNet post by you for SQL Server

register with gdb

https://community.esri.com/ideas/8897

How to create an SDE View in 10.3

***Updated: Here is another thread on GeoNet that covers most of this in detail. It has lots of comments and dialog on this issue***

Alternatives to using SDE command line tools - Blog Discussion

--- George T.
DanMcCoy
Occasional Contributor III

"Coming at the 10.5 release the ‘Register with Geodattabase’ tool will be enhanced with additional parameters and allows database views as acceptable input datasets." https://community.esri.com/ideas/8897#comment-42312