Geodatabase conversion to an older version

2 weeks ago
MaryamAlHefeiti
New Contributor

Hello everybody!

If I have a file geodatabase created in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 (version 10), and I want to converted to an older version 10.4 in ArcMap.. Is it possible ? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The version for file geodatabases has not changed since 10.1, which is version 10, like you mentioned.

Client and geodatabase compatibility

The version for file geodatabases has not changed since 10.1. The version for mobile geodatabases has not changed since ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

However, if you need to create an older version of File geodatabase like 9.3, or 9.2, you can use the 'Create File Geodatabase' tool and select the required version in the 'File Geodatabase Version' parameter of the tool.

Creating an earlier version of a file or personal geodatabase

MaryamAlHefeiti
New Contributor

like I mean our client does not use ArcGIS Pro, they use ArcMap 10.4 ! that's why our Gdb file that created in ArcGIS pro not open for them in ArcMap 10.4... they ask me to converted to ArcMap 10.4 version so they can open the file.. you got my point?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

What is stored in the File Geodatabase? They can't access anything or only some of the data? What is the error message encountered?

0 Kudos
MaryamAlHefeiti
New Contributor

its a water data actually.. no it's not open for them

if I got a ArcMap, then there is a way to convert the file to older version ? steps or anything

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

You can ask your client to create an empty File Geodatabase using their Desktop 10.4 and provide it to you, if that is all you need.

I would still suggest you check the Client and geodatabase compatibility, and make sure the kind of data you are creating\using is accessible using older clients or not. There is a list of things mentioned in that link, which may not be supported and hence leading to your client getting the error.

Example from that link:

• Older ArcGIS clients can open, query, edit, and save data in newer release geodatabases, but they cannot open datasets that participate in newer functionality. You will encounter the following error messages when you try to access a newer type of dataset from an older ArcGIS client:

The version of the Geodatabase client is incompatible with the dataset and cannot open it.

Failed to add data, unsupported data type.