Database connection failed in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2

Jump to solution
03-09-2018 10:24 AM
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor

Anyone know what is causing this error or how to fix it? I am brand new to ArcGIS Pro and I am trying to connect to our existing SDE database. I have no issues with this connection in ArcMAP 10.3 and I verified my login credentials so that's not the issue.

Thanks!

This is a screenshot of a pop-up that says "Connection Error - Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance."

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

As per link I don't believe SQL Server 2008 is supported:

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

In addition, I believe you will need a 64-bit SQL Server Native Client installed on your machine.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

ArcMap is a 32-bit application and Pro is a 64-bit application so your database client for Pro would be different from your database client for ArcMap.

What type of database are you trying to connect to?

0 Kudos
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor

Of course I am going to be asked questions I don't know answers to, ha! SQL Server 2008 I believe, is this what you are asking for?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

As per link I don't believe SQL Server 2008 is supported:

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

In addition, I believe you will need a 64-bit SQL Server Native Client installed on your machine.

MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor

I would say that is probably the issue! 2008 isn't supported. We are upgrading to 2016 sometime in the next year or so, guess I will have to wait.

Thanks for the help, Michael!

0 Kudos