Database connection blocked

05-04-2023 08:40 AM
RayburnClipper
New Contributor III

We have an Oracle 19.18 database that houses our GIS data. The behavior we have noticed blocks connections to the database. I’ve attached a picture from ArcPro showing what my admins have to check in the mornings.
We do run maintenance Monday – Thursday with a script that blocks connections, disconnects users, reconciles the versions, compresses the database then finally opens the connections. We don’t run that script over the weekend, so what would cause the box to be unchecked/blocking connections?
The GDB versions is 10.9. My Oracle DBA's can't find anything on the Oracle side that might be doing this. The network admins are just dismissive because they never want to get involved with problems.
Has anyone encountered this behavior?

I work in government so nobody is working late or early doing this and only the GIS admins have the privileges to do this anyway.

Box is mysteriously uncheckedBox is mysteriously unchecked

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @RayburnClipper 

Are you able to connect on Friday? Saturday ? Sunday? 

RayburnClipper
New Contributor III

Since no body is in the office on the weekend we don't notice the issue until Monday morning.  Chris just informed me what table the accept connection status is located. I am going to watch to see what process/user makes that change and hopefully we can track down the job that is doing this.

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions.
0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

The "Geodatabase is accepting connections" box reflects the STATUS row in the SDE.SERVER_CONFIG table. This field has a value of 1 when accepting connections and a value of 2 when not allowing connections.

You can find it like this.
SELECT NUM_PROP_VALUE FROM SDE.SERVER_CONFIG WHERE PROP_NAME='STATUS';

Does that Database table's STATUS value reflect what is shown in the "Geodatabase is accepting connections" box ?

RayburnClipper
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure what table had the status for the accepting connections check box. This will be helpful

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

"We do run maintenance Monday – Thursday with a script that blocks connections, disconnects users, reconciles the versions, compresses the database then finally opens the connections. We don’t run that script over the weekend, so what would cause the box to be unchecked/blocking connections?"

I would start by checking if the "script" is really running only on the indicated days and or someone else is running another script on a different day, you can also change the sde user password, and create a new gdb connection file, and share it with only the people that really need it, this way you limit the number of people and scripts that can make any changes to your enterprise geodatabase connected as the sde user.

Note, Oracle DBA can turn auditing on to capture changes to a particular table, in this case the sde.server_config table that stores the option to disable geodatabase connections, this way you might be able to track who is making the change.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
RayburnClipper
New Contributor III

Thanks Marcello. we are a very tight group in the GIS dept. I will have my DBA turn on auditing on the Tables that Chris Underwood mentioned above.

0 Kudos
RayburnClipper
New Contributor III

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I am working with my Oracle DBA now to audit the tables to see what is making the change in order to find what is making this change.

JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

You could also set up a scheduled script to query the SDE.SERVER_CONFIG table every x minutes and write the results into another table with a timestamp. Then you can see over time  how the status is changing. 

0 Kudos