UN Network Validation Tools

Jump to solution
01-02-2019 08:54 AM
Labels (1)
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Hello –

I’ve created a utility network database for a small gas distribution system with a single town border station (TBS) and several regulator stations.  The source of the distribution system is a custody transfer meter at the TBS (a subnetwork controller).  When I create a distribution system sub-network below this meter it works as expected.  My subnet feature is a union of all the distribution system pipes.  So far so good. 

Next I try to create pressure systems bounded by my regulators (also defined as subnetwork controllers) and closed valves. In all but the very simplest case when I trace a pressure system the trace somehow “leaks” beyond the bounding regulators and closed valves and up into the feeding higher pressure system.  I believe this is likely a data issue on my part.

My question is this, are there tools available in the ArcGIS UN suite that would help me detect *where* a trace like this might leak incorrectly from one system to another?  I’ve written a simple checker that finds cases where pipes of different operating pressures meet and reports the device that connects them, but so far the reported devices are all regulators and closed valves.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thx,

Ed

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just to be sure, did you define any terminators in the Trace tool?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just to be sure, did you define any terminators in the Trace tool?

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Xander -

Thank you for the suggestion.   I had assumed that "NORMALPOSITION" was among the Traversablility condition barriers.  It was not, but DEVICESTATUS was.  When I changed values for DEVICESTATUS to "Closed" for all valves where the NORMALPOSITION was "Closed" -- then saved edits and validated -- and re-ran the trace it stopped at regulators and closed valves as I had hoped.

Much appreciated!

Ed