Select to view content in your preferred language

Student GIS Geodatabase build

02-26-2014 12:36 PM
KeithPancake
Deactivated User
I'm a GIS student working on a project to build a geodatabase "from scratch" for an electric utility, distribution side.  I worked as a contractor with ACRT years ago on a large utility in vegetation management so I have some background knowledge on the topic.  I have contacted my local utility, their GIS guy, to see what data he can provide.  I want to have a model that has layers of customers: residential, commercial and industrial; utility equipment: poles, lines, transformers, fuses, switches and regulators; streets; and be able to model basic power load flow and possibly an outage response plan. 

Is there a model of the tabular data out there someone would be willing to share? 
What additional layers should I be looking to build to complete this?

thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimHayes
Frequent Contributor
A good place to look would be ESRI's Electrical Utility Site:
http://www.esri.com/industries/Utilities/electric

Download and take a look at the their Electrical System Data Models. Also, the Modeling Electric Distribution Systems book is a good read. I learned a lot from it.

I focus on mapping underground electrical systems. For this, a good idea would be to take a look at Butterfly Diagrams/Foldout Diagrams showing conduit runs inside manholes and handholes. This info should be on the ESRI site I referenced.
0 Kudos