Rock formations

03-01-2016 02:05 PM
Nikolai_KolbaKolba
New Contributor

Hello, my name is Nik.  I am a current student working on a Natural Resource project on finding suitability of habitats to find snakes. I am currently searching for a shapefile of a open rock formations in Pennsylvania. I am wondering if there is a current dataset that has listed any rock formations above ground or how I would be able to find quickly rock formations by using aerial imagery?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you tried contacting the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources? They appear to have several webpages concerning their maps and digital data:

PA DCNR - Geology - Digital Data

This may be a good place to start.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It looks like they have a section where you can download their GIS data for the geologic maps:

PA DCNR - Geology - Map 1

And click on the Map 1, Data. This will download a 64 Megabyte zip file.

0 Kudos
Nikolai_KolbaKolba
New Contributor

I have downloaded this data and the data provided gives the substrata underneath the soil. I am only interested of the rocks above the soil level across the state. I do appreciate the help Adrian! I just emailed them as well to see if they have such a feature class or shapefile with this information.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It may be your best bet to contact them as they would know what data they have (and being that it's a state agency, they can likely give it to your for free, hopefully). You may look into the PA Spatial Data Clearinghouse for GIS data but it doesn't look like it has much:

PASDA - The Pennsylvania Spatial Data Clearinghouse

I would be curious to know if they respond to you about data.

I am not sure if this helps or not but there are some wider-area maps for geology of North America that you can use:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=2967ae2d1be14a8fbf5888b4ac75a01f

and

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6a0f6412ce314055951ab5e6dccb4e7d 

Nikolai_KolbaKolba
New Contributor

I have already looked thoroughly through  PASDA - The Pennsylvania Spatial Data Clearinghouse. They were one of the first places I investigated as well as GIS, CAD, GPS, mobile industry maps,news,jobs,data free software. Both weren't very helpful for this section of my project. I might be able to clip those clips for geology of North America to create these maps but it will take some time to investigate this issue. Ill let you know by tomorrow if I could do this.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, that PASDA site seems like a good idea but but leaves a lot for the imagination... I am curious to hear if the North American datasets worked out of if the PA DCNR responded to you. Good luck!

0 Kudos
BrettAbernethy
New Contributor

Hi,

I am a Geologist. What you are looking for is an "Outcrop Map". An outcrop is a visible surface of bedrock. So you might want to use search terms such as "Pennsylvania outcrop map GIS shape file"

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Nikolai Kolba Kolba​ were you able to find a suitable solution for what you were looking for? Did anyone at the state offices of Pennsylvania respond to you?

0 Kudos
Nikolai_KolbaKolba
New Contributor

hey, so i did get  reply for multiple people and they gave me a shapefile of bedrock which is not what i was looking for. Brett Abernathy was correct in saying that i am looking dor outcrops of pennsylvania

0 Kudos