Problem downloading tutorial data

Jump to solution
07-22-2021 10:14 AM
Labels (1)
leedecola
New Contributor

I want to brush up on my ArcMap skills by doing some exercises. From

https://learngis.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ecf19954b18a4a2d944ca31c9a169911

I download a setup.exe file to my desktop but when I try to run the program I get a message

'This app can't run on your PC...CLOSE'

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think you may need to wait to download the whole thing, the setup.exe file you linked is 221 MB when I download it.

That $100 license covers ArcMap, Pro and and ArcGIS Online personal org. It's a sweet deal I think.

FYI, if you didn't know, Esri has developed an R-ArcGIS bridge that allows R to read Esri data and ArcGIS to read R data frames directly. There are installs to do this both with ArcMap and Pro.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try working with the ZIP file then GIS Tutorial for ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 Exercise Data - Zip file 

*Add a folder named "EsriPress" on you machine on your "C" drive. After downloading, unzip this exercise data to that location in order to follow the book's instruction.

Think Location
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

That is actually the exercise data for a different book, but I've added a ZIP file for Getting to Know ArcGIS 10.8, so that download option exists for both books now.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Lee! Warm regards to you!

The popup I get (Windows 10.0.19043.1110) was a security message: "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk." -- and if I click the "more info" link I get a new button to Run Anyway.   The setup then starts and I am prompted to unzip to the folder C:\EsriPress\GTKArcGIS\.

If you are really just playing around "from scratch" and not working with an existing project, I highly recommend learning Pro. I didn't like it at first but I a warming to it - and honestly it is much more responsive on modern PC hardware than ArcMap. There are also major major improvements we have wanted for many years, for example the Pro version of Zonal Statistics as Table handles overlap. I now teach Pro 100% with just a little ArcMap.

leedecola
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Curtis -here's what happens:

1. download setup.exe which is a 55kb file on my desktop
  2. right-click > run as admin
  3. get a User Account Control message 'do you want to run...?' > OK
  4. message 'Windows cannot find 'c:\...setup.exe' which seems odd as the file is there.

I'm a freelance GIS-er who pays $100/year for ArcMap for attractive visualization - I generally use R for heavy-duty spatial (etc.) analysis.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think you may need to wait to download the whole thing, the setup.exe file you linked is 221 MB when I download it.

That $100 license covers ArcMap, Pro and and ArcGIS Online personal org. It's a sweet deal I think.

FYI, if you didn't know, Esri has developed an R-ArcGIS bridge that allows R to read Esri data and ArcGIS to read R data frames directly. There are installs to do this both with ArcMap and Pro.

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Lee,

I've added a ZIP file of the exercise data that you can download instead of using the .exe. Sometimes there can be permissions issues with an executable file. You can find it here.

So that you can follow along with the book, you will need to add a folder on your C drive named "EsriPress" and place the unzipped files within that.

I'll echo Curt's recommendation to check out ArcPro, it sounds like you already have a license for it! 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I just realized that I shared the ZIP file link of another book. 😅

Thanks Craig, for sharing the correct link.

Think Location
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

No problem, I get them confused too! 🤔

0 Kudos