Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple Utility Network Datasets in an Instance

12-27-2018 01:45 PM
EdwardBlair
Regular Contributor

I now have one utility network dataset in a SQLExpress instance - this one has pipeline and structure domains.  Will it be OK if I create another utility network dataset in the same instance - the new one to have an electric and structure domains?   These datasets will cover different geographies and have different spatial references.   

What I'm concerned about is the structure domains.   Will there be a naming conflict for the two sets of structure feature classes?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thx,
Ed

3 Replies
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Regular Contributor

The StructureNetwork for the 2nd UN will have _# suffixes added to ensure unique names.

With that being said, there could be conflicts with coded value domains. Don't share asset type domains across multiple utility networks.

RichardDumont
Occasional Contributor

I had the same concerns Ed, I have not had a chance to dig into it to form a good question, thanks for asking. So it sounds like, if you have for example, which is what I was thinking about, an Electric Structure and a Gas Structure it would be best to keep these separated of course, so you really need to plan this out to not cause issues down the road.

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Regular Contributor

Rich -

Thanks for the note.  For my current purposes I just created a new SQLServer instance to hold my second (electric) dataset.  Seems to work fine.

Ed