mapping light poles

Jump to solution
08-17-2022 05:51 AM
TampaPortDR
New Contributor II

Can anyone explain how to map light poles? The data dictionary has lighting as low voltage light, and the pole feature class is separate. I just want to map out some lighting on poles in a parking lot, but do I need to drop two point feature classes on top of another? If I just put the lighting point, It doesn't really represent a pole, so I am unsure. Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Checkout this link to our solutions site.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/solutions/index.html?domain=Electric&gallery=true&industry=Utilities&sol...

In the Utility Network, yes you would have a pole and a device.  After creating both, you would want to create an attachment association between them.  But, if you collect the data as a single point outside the utility network, you could automate the process of moving it in to the utility network and creating the multiple features and associations.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

I assume you are planning on these lights being part of the electric network in the UN.  The pole is a structure and the attributes for structures such as pole height, material, etc.  For the light to be included in an Electric trace as an electric device, it is in the Electric Device class.  If you are going to use a tool like Field Maps for data collection, you could use a non-utility network class to capture all of the information on a single feature.  Then, post process the records in this class to create the UN features, appropriate pole in the structure class and the electric device Low Voltage Light.  

Also, there is an option using our hosted solution for Electric Distribution.  This does not support tracing, but if you don't need to trace the electric connectivity to the lights, this may meet your needs.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
TampaPortDR
New Contributor II

Thanks for taking the time to help, John! 
I am curious about the hosted solution. I don't need to trace these light poles, just wanted to map them correctly. I believe the best way is to place the pole feature class, then add the electric device Low Voltage Light feature class as a point stacked on top of the pole point.

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Checkout this link to our solutions site.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/solutions/index.html?domain=Electric&gallery=true&industry=Utilities&sol...

In the Utility Network, yes you would have a pole and a device.  After creating both, you would want to create an attachment association between them.  But, if you collect the data as a single point outside the utility network, you could automate the process of moving it in to the utility network and creating the multiple features and associations.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com