09-13-2023 09:46 AM
Pat_Hohl
Esri Regular Contributor

What do you think of this? 

GIS has changed.jfif

15 Replies
JesGooch
Esri Contributor

It really has!  From printed maps that are outdated as soon as they are printed to static data.  Do you remember the old digital-ortho quarter quad imagery datasets?  They used to come on CD for purchase and could take days or weeks to get.  Now that information is available at the click of a button and shareable throughout your organization.  GIS going from the dark corner of the basement to out in the light for all to view, use and make important, impactful decisions.  So much has changed!  

Pat_Hohl
Esri Regular Contributor

I spent millions on orthophotos...

TJ_Houle
New Contributor III

I think this is really though provoking. I wonder what it might look like to provide a utilities focused view that brings in some of the components that are unique to that industry. Things like the changes to support methodologies, proactive network modeling, etc.

she/her/hers
DuaneHolt
New Contributor II

I think my favorite component of these changes is the data.  The shift from centralized data storage and maintenance to the distributed and shared data model has revolutionized how GIS is viewed at the utilities.  Publishing maps and apps that put the data maintenance in the hands of the field crews has generated a higher level of trust and data ownership for those crews.  That trust is contagious and is what moved the "Mapping System" from the back corners to the out front "GIS" that the whole utility now relies upon.  

Pat_Hohl
Esri Regular Contributor

"Trust is contagious"  - bull's eye! 

0 Kudos
melmayo
Esri Contributor

GIS has continued to evolve in the wake of technological changes, user needs, system demands, increased data availability, and other factors. Having the capability to shift from paper maps to putting mobile GIS in the hands of people who are far removed from the desktop GIS software is huge and expands the user community for a given organization. Changing demands on GIS have allowed the user community to implement products, workflows, and procedures to improve response times, restoration efforts, and improve safety. GIS is experiencing a shift from a tool in the box to a foundational piece of technology for users and companies across the board.  It really is amazing what GIS can do and what it can help users do that really wouldn't have been possible even a few years ago the way it is today. 

BillMeehan
Esri Contributor

GIS has changed, grown up - welcome to the 20's

JonasRugys
Esri Contributor

Proprietary data hasn't changed, it's easier now to access open data and shared services, but one didn't turn into the other.  GIS practitioners have always paid much attention to societal concerns.  I think the other items are spot on.

JonasRugys
Esri Contributor

Here's a similar one we used in 2018

JonasRugys_0-1694639053599.png