Rotate DevSummit Locations or Start Mini-DevSummits at Other Locations

05-29-2010 10:35 AM
ChrisSergent1
Occasional Contributor II
I realize that the User Conference is still quite a bit larger than the DevSummit, but I know the value of both and would like to see the DevSummit change locations each year or if that it too difficult, create a new thing; a Mini-DevSummit which wouldn't offer as much as the full DevSummit but content could be determined based on feedback. This would allow for a shorter distance to travel for financially strapped organizations and possibly make attending a reality.

6 Comments
JackCibor
We are geographers. Lets explore some new geography!!!!
JimBarry
ESRI is sponsoring a new series of events called the "Dev Meet Up".  The first one will be in NYC on June 24th, 2010.   Our objective is to sponsor a dozen or so more of these across the US in 2010.  Depending on their success, locations outside the US are possible.   The objective here is timely, technical information shared with and between the developer community, in-person discussions, and social networking.

http://devmeetupnewyork.eventbrite.com/

As for the content of the DevSummit, we post video/audio recordings of every technical session on the DevSummit site and on the ArcGIS Resource Center.  Not exactly the same as being able to interact, but at least the helpful content is there.

As for Palm Springs, it's been a great location and facility for this kind of event for several years.  In order to keep costs and fees low, and the availability of all of the ESRI engineers, developer, products, and support staff high, it is currently our plan to keep the event there for the foreseeable future.   It could be possible that this could change depending on feedback, both on surveys, direct input, and this "Ideas" site for example.

As for your point about the event being closer and being easier for you to attend, sure, but then since we all know geography, moving something closer to someone also makes it further away from someone else.

But let's see what the community thinks.  We're listening!  🙂
JosephWallis1
I know you all love Palm Springs and the proximity to Redlands, but hundreds of cities would love to bid on hosting DevSummit. 

It would be ideal to see "Dev Meet Ups" scheduled throughout the country and not on the coasts....perhaps coordinated with the state and regional user groups.
ChrisSergent1

With succesful Dev Meetups that ESRI is hosting; let's support ESRI for taking this endeavor on. If genuine interest avails itself to something smaller, there would be opportunity for growth.

And if you want to see a DevSummit or even a Mini-DevSummit come to your town; get the word out and encourage ESRI and those around you to host a meetup in your area and then let you fellow-developers know so we can support one another.

Chris

JoshWhite
I'd still like the conferences to move around.  It is a hassle to have to go all the way to San Diego everytime.  Maybe move it to the midwest one year and then the east coast another and make it move around.  This could work for both DevSummits and the UC.  Its just aggravating that they are doing it there for their convenience rather than the customer's convenience.  As much as I hate to say it because I am from the states, I would also think that Europe and Asia would like to host it as well.  I just couldn't go that year. 
JoshWhite
I would also like to add that we need more Regional US user conferences.  In my area there aren't any.