Allow for community created content to be added/shared with AGO and ArcCatalog!

09-08-2019 05:06 PM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I noticed that if someone has created a custom tool, widget, or script, that unless they directly share it with either GitHub or some other forum or repository, others won't be able to access it. So I was wondering if it would be possible to add a section to AGO and/or ArcCatalog for community created content that is approved by Esri, such as custom widgets, script tools, or other useful tools in general. Otherwise it is difficult to have to to keep on researching, creating internal tools or widgets, and other things that quite frankly would be nice to simply be able to use if somebody else doesn't mind sharing it. It is understandable if somethings out their pose a risk, but if the item is vetted for security reasons, then it shouldn't necessarily pose a risk. So I just thought this would be a good idea.

3 Comments
KoryKramer

What about ArcGIS Code Sharing ?

RPGIS
by

I was thinking of direct access sharing. Kind of like a separate page in ArcGIS Online where Esri we could enable community users add their own custom tools and/or creations to AGO directly (with Esri's Q/A) and allow for others to use them. It would be easier than to have to create, wait, or dig constantly to find something similar has already been done. But I will definitely check out the code sharing and see if I can find what I am looking for.

Thanks Kory

RPGIS
by

The other thing that I am hoping for is for community users to be able to directly incorporate any custom creations in AGO and/or tools in ArcCatalog without having to directly download and/or install. Kind of like having a separate page for community users.