Select to view content in your preferred language

FAA OE/AAA Latitude/Longitude Coordinates?

01-10-2018 10:05 AM
HannahShepherd1
New Contributor II

Is anyone aware of a tool/script available to calculate the proper Latitude/Longitude values for any FAA obstruction evaluation submittals? The specific format is in bold below.

Latitude (DD-MM-SS.SS)Latitude must be in NAD83, numeric, separated by hyphen and must be entered in whole numbers as degrees, minutes and seconds to the hundredth of a second. Note: If you do not follow this format specifically your import will fail to load your projectMust be positive integer. 2 digit-2 digit-4 digit (2 digit decimal 2 digit)DO NOT LEAVE BLANK
Longitude (DD-MM-SS.SS)Longitude must be in NAD83, numeric, separated by hyphen and must be entered in whole numbers as degrees, minutes and seconds to the hundredth of a second. Note: If you do not follow this format specifically your import will fail to load your projectMust be positive integer. Up to 3 digits-2 digit-4 digit (2 digit decimal 2 digit)DO NOT LEAVE BLANK

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
Deactivated User

I totally don't like the leave out the negative sign in the longitude, but I have flags in there to check for it and keep it more general

def dd_mm_ss(dd, cal_long=True, deg_sign="", use_quad=False):
    """decimal degrees to deg dec min"""
    if deg_sign != "":
        deg_sign = u'\N{DEGREE SIGN}'
    deg = int(dd)
    if deg < 0:
        quad = ['S', 'W'][cal_long]
        deg = abs(deg)
    else:
        quad = ['N', 'E'][cal_long]
    if not use_quad:
        quad = ""
    mins, secs = divmod(dd*3600, 60)
    degs, mins = divmod(mins, 60)
    frmt = "{}{}-{:0.0f}-{:05.2f}{}".format(deg, deg_sign, mins, secs, quad)
    return frmt

To use, set up the field calculator with the python parser and provide a field name which is used for 'dd' and cal_long

ie for latitude

dd_mm_ss(!LatField!, cal_long=False)   and

dd_mm_ss(!LongField!, cal_long=True  

you can ignore the other two flags unless you need negative signs and/or the N,S,E,W quadrants.

HannahShepherd1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Dan. I noticed that ESRI has a Military Tool, in particular it has a conversion tool, but none of them actually convert to the FAA format. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
Deactivated User

Glad it could be of use... If there are any modifications you need, let me know