wrong data extent

06-15-2012 10:32 AM
kimTremblay
New Contributor
There is a very basic problem that I never faced before and couldn�??t find the reason!  🙂

I have opened a table in Arcmap, and used �??display XY data�?� to show them by points on the map. I�??ve selected a coordinate and projection system for data. But the points are placed wrong. The layer property, projection system and datum are correct but data extent is wrong.  The coordinates of the points are in degree (e.g. 45.6234523 degree) but they are place on the map with the same values (e.g. 45.6234523 meter) in meter. Event I export the data to shp, it gives same results.

Any help would be appreciated?
Kim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SolomonPulapkura
Occasional Contributor III
Try this -

1. Open a new blank ArcMap document.

2. Assign the desired projection to the data frame. (Right click on layers in the TOC > Properties > Coordinate System)

3. Add table

4. Display XY data (make sure you are not providing Y instead of X or vice versa

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
What is the coordinate system you are assigning? It is important that you do not set it to what you ultimately want your data to be in, but what the data are collected in. Based on the numbers you gave, you must assign it to a Geographic Coordinate System (likely WGS 1984 or NAD 1983). Once you get it displaying correctly, you can export out to a new feature class and use the Project tool to project to a projected coordinate system (PCS), such as UTM or State Plane, and this will convert your data to a linear unit such as feet or meters. The only reason I can see it saying meters instead of dd would be that it was assigned a PCS instead of GCS when using Display XY.
0 Kudos