Why doesn't the Join Field Tool work?

06-29-2017 07:09 AM
NikAnderson1
New Contributor II

I have read through many of the other posts that concern the Join Field Tool and none of them have helped in my situation. Not only does the tool run for a very very very long time, it never finishes. 

Around every other week I have to update our Parcels Feature Class with new data, I have been doing this for some time now using the Join Field tool and it has always worked with no issues. But now I repeat the same process again and the Join Field tool doesn't even give me a message stating what it wrong, it just keeps running until I get tired of it and hit cancel. 

Yes I have ran the tool overnight.

Any help or suggestions? What does this mean?

ArcMap 10.4.1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

If you have your data in an access database or in a large format database and you are only updating attributes (no geospatial stuff) try making a query outside of arcGIS within the database itself and make those joins.  As a practice, I never use ESRI to update attribute data, unless I absolutely have to (generally due to geo spatial links.)

0 Kudos
NikAnderson1
New Contributor II

Ted,

Thanks for the response.

I am using a regular excel spreadsheet for the data that I need to join, I then usually save it as a Tab Delimited .txt file for the Join. That is what I have always done in the past. Once I join that data I then use that Parcels feature class on our Web Application.

I am not sure if your response is applicable for my use, I don't know if that is something that would give me the final end product that I am trying to achieve.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Did you read this question?

I think Dan's answer is helpful for you too.

https://community.esri.com/message/696399-re-oids-and-join-issues?commentID=696399#comment-695071