Select to view content in your preferred language

What happens with labeling behind the scenes?

02-08-2012 06:38 AM
PaulLandry
Deactivated User
I've recently had to stop using the Maplex labeling engine and return to using the Standard labeling engine and I'm working on gaining more control over my labels.
I am currently using ArcView 10.  My question is this:  I understand that the label engine will not label a polygon if it is set to "Only place label inside polygon" and the label is too large to fit. But how is the engine coming up with that determination?  Is there a flag somewhere that tells the program that the label will run into the polygon boundary?  If so, where is that flag?  Can I get to it using a label formula?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonMorris
Deactivated User
Hi Paul,

I don't know exactly how SLE determines if a label overlaps the polygon, but I think it is some kind of vector test (Maplex rasterises the label and the feature and looks for overlaps between the two). In any case, the test will fail if the label cannot be placed within the polygon. I don't know if this includes the boundary/casing, but it should be quite easy to find out by setting the boundary width to a large value and alter the font size until you have a label that fits.

It won't be possible to tell the label engine to place your label, via a formula or otherwise. As possible workarounds, you will have to either allow the label to place outside or reduce the font size.

What is the problem you have with Maplex? Is it licensing? Or is there a bug?
0 Kudos
PaulLandry
Deactivated User
Jon,
I've changed employers recently and we aren't using Maplex here.  My new employer was a client of my old employer and I'm continuing work on those maps.  I'll have to convert all my labels to work with the standard engine.  So far, I have a formula that wraps the text and can change the font size according to the area of the polygon.  This works pretty well until you get to odd shaped polygons like very long and narrow oblongs. I was just hoping to make the font size control a bit more intuitive by sensing the polygon boundary or something like that. For now, I'm going to use what I have so far and keep trying to make it better. That vector test sounds interesting...
0 Kudos
JacobBoyle
Deactivated User
I can't find a link right now, but I am almost certain I read that Maplex will become a base function at 10.1 at all levels.
0 Kudos
PaulLandry
Deactivated User
Now, that would be great!
0 Kudos