Want to import Object Data

Jump to solution
07-09-2012 10:04 AM
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor
I installed ArcGIS for AutoCAD thinking thinking it would enable me to load object data along with the entities into ArcMap.  I cannot find how to do this.  If ArcGIS for AutoCAD will not allow the loading of Object Data, does anyone know if it can be done?

Thanks, Jim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor
Jim,

You can import object data into CAD

Dustin

Thanks Dustin for the reply. I found a way to bring the Object Data into ArcView.  I am using Model Builder with a tool to try import this CAD data into a shp file.
I had to use the Export to CAD tool with the attributes of choice, then use the ArcGIS for AutoCAD extension to enable the DWG for ArcView to see.  Finally I can view the polygons with the object data in ArcView.

My next project  will be to try import CAD Topology into ArcView, a much harder task I believe.

jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DustinAtwater
New Contributor
Jim,

You can import object data into CAD with the mapimport command. While in CAD type- mapimport. Browse to the file you would like to open. When the map import dialog box opens, be sure to click in the 'data' box. See attached image. Once you click in the data box you can see an add button pop up. Click this, and a attribute data box will appear. In the attribute data box select 'Create Object Data', and in the drop down select the object data for your shapefile. Thats it. Hope this helps.

Dustin
0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor
Jim,

You can import object data into CAD

Dustin

Thanks Dustin for the reply. I found a way to bring the Object Data into ArcView.  I am using Model Builder with a tool to try import this CAD data into a shp file.
I had to use the Export to CAD tool with the attributes of choice, then use the ArcGIS for AutoCAD extension to enable the DWG for ArcView to see.  Finally I can view the polygons with the object data in ArcView.

My next project  will be to try import CAD Topology into ArcView, a much harder task I believe.

jim
0 Kudos
BrentKastor
New Contributor
I am curious to hear how you imported the CAD data (dwg) file with the Object Data?  I am having trouble locating anyone that has done this, so it must be something simple?  I would like to import the CAD data into a file gdb.  The field names in the CAD file's Object Data are too long for a shapefile, so I thought moving directly to a gdb would work.  I can export from CAD to shapefile, but I would really like to import the CAD file to gdb.

Thanks!
brent.kastor@rsandh.com
0 Kudos