Versioned Editing

07-06-2012 12:30 PM
SteveS
by
New Contributor II
Hi,

Can anyone help me regarding the versioned editing in ArcGIS Server 10.0. I'm aware of the versioned editing workflow in ArcGIS Desktop/ArcSDE....registering a feature class, reconcile, post, compress.  What is the procedure for the same in ArcGIS Server. Do I need to reconcile and post or will the edits get saved in the particular version in which I publish service.  Can you please let me know the procedure or sent me the weblink regarding versioned editing in ArcGIS Server 10.0.

Thanks,
Steve.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Community Moderator
Hi Steve,

... Do I need to reconcile and post or will the edits get saved in the particular version in which I publish service?

The latter part of your statement is correct: when you perform web editing with feature services in ArcGIS Server, the edits you make will get saved into the particular version that was being accessed by the map service, when you published it.

FYI at 10.1, I believe feature services now support the ability to apply edits into a different version, OTHER than the particular version that was being accessed by the map service, when you published it. This capability is available at the Web Mapping API level - so you would have to enable this with custom code.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
SteveS
by
New Contributor II
Hi Derek,

Thanks for your response. You have mentioned that, while performing web editing with feature services in ArcGIS Server, the edits which we make will get saved into the particular version that was being accessed by the map service.
1. Can we use any version for editing with feature service in ArcGIS Server/Web api or just the default version ?
2. If we can use any version other than default version, then should we reconcile and post the edits to the default version after making the edits from ArcGIS Server/Web api.

Thanks,
Steve.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Community Moderator
Hi Steve,

1. Can we use any version for editing with feature service in ArcGIS Server/Web api or just the default version?

A1. Yes, you can use any version you want with ArcGIS Server feature services.

2. If we can use any version other than default version, then should we reconcile and post the edits to the default version after making the edits from ArcGIS Server/Web api.

A2. Correct. You would treat the version being edited via the web (with feature services), like any other edit version in your business workflow.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
SteveS
by
New Contributor II
Perfect. Thank You!
0 Kudos