Using the buffer tool in editor ArcGIS 10

11-19-2012 07:05 AM
CarlyEasby
New Contributor
Hi,

I am editing a shape file of field boundaries on a farm to add habitat types for example hedges, grassy margins, arable crop etc with the end goal of calculating the total area of each habitat type. I have selected one field and used buffer in editor and selected -5 to create a hedge inside the field of 5metres. The problem is I cannot seem to select the hedge as a separate feature even though it has a new FID and when I try to calculate its area it still includes the area of the field centre.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidPetrey1
New Contributor III
That seems a bit strange. Whenever I have a weird issue with a dataset I usually try running the Repair Geometry tool from ArcToolbox. This sometimes sorts out geometry issues that can cause problems like this.

Alternatively, are you saving and stopping editing before trying to calculate the area of the new polygon?

Also, rather than selecting the new polygon on the map, can you select it from the Attribute Table?

Finally, try exporting the dataset to a geodatabase first. Area should automatically be added as an attribute to a polygon. Just make sure you are using a Projected Coordinate System.

I hope some of the above help.

David

simplyGIS Ltd - making GIS simple
http://www.simplygis.co.uk/GISTraining.html
0 Kudos