Unable to import csv files to ArcMap, and preview them in ArcCatalog

12-21-2015 11:32 PM
NatasaKnap_Gasper
New Contributor

I have been trying to import csv files to ArcMap, but it always tells me General function failure! I can't preview them in ArcCatalog either. Neither my original csv files, or those from the training packages. Any advice? I have ArcGIS 10 on my computer.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
FilipeEsteves
New Contributor II

Hi Natasa Knap Gasper,

lets see if i can help you:)

1.- Save the csv file in unicode text (*.txt) in a folder.

2.- Open a new mxd and define the coordinate system to "WGS 84"

3.- In order to help you to have an overview about the data, look in you installation folder of ArcGIS, normally at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.x\TemplateData\TemplateData.gdb and chose the World continents.shp (or chose a basemap)

4. in the mxd, open the Arcatalog, go to your folder here you have the .txt file and chose "create feature class"\" from XY table". Select the WGS84 as your cordinate system, and normaly will display correctly.

If doesn´t work, and in case that you are able (now) to import the the file to the table of contents, but not "Display xy data", you can try to export again the table as .dbf file.

After that (in .dbf) add another field to Log (as double) and another to Lat. (use the field calculator to fill the new fields), and try to "Display xy data".

I hope it helps

If not, and if you can, send me the csv file or tell me which is the online ESRI training course.

FE

0 Kudos
NatasaKnap_Gasper
New Contributor

I've tried all that you suggested nothing works. I get the same general function failure response with the txt file if I try to create feature class/from XY table.

when i tried to convert it to geodatabase it reported an error 9999999: Error executing function.

Do you think that it's possible to have some settings in the system that are not set correctly? I've been able to import the data if I have it in the xlsx format. But it's quite labour intensive to convert everything, make sure, that all the columns have the correct data format etc..

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Post the csv file here.

I am sure someone will be able to identify the problem.

0 Kudos
NatasaKnap_Gasper
New Contributor

I am sure that the problem is not in the specific csv file, because NONE of the csv files that I have tried so far (either my own or from the ESRI site) can be viewed or imported into ArcGIS on my computer (in the csv format!).

Is it possible that there is some problem with the decimal seperators? But I imagine, there would be a problem with the xlsx files also. What about language settings?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I have certainly seen in the past, people with a French set up, have difficulty opening csv's.

All the decimal separators "." get replaced with ",". Which causes chaos in a csv.

0 Kudos
FilipeEsteves
New Contributor II

Ups, ... if it doesn't work like that...

And you tell that any of .csv or .txt never worked...

(i'm sure that you already try to save as .shp, and in a different path)

You can try to change the "decimal symbol" at Control panel\region\additional settings\number... but i really don't know if it could help... you try and you will see

or

change all the "." for an "," (find and replace) in the csv file.

Hope it helps,

FE

0 Kudos