Trying to Clip Raster data to a simple polygon

06-17-2014 06:39 PM
natashaGregory-Michelman
New Contributor III
I am trying to clip several raster datasets_individually for now_ to a simple, existing polygon in ARCMap and I am unable to see the Raster datasets in the Clip Toolset in the Geoprocessing options at all. All I see is the vector polygon....that is the one to CLIP to.

If anyone has any advice..please share.

PS: the raster datasets are  overlaid and correspond to the vector data and I have built attribute tables and they all look fine. I just can't see the raster data in the CLIP tool.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
I am guessing you are using the wrong clip.  If you are using the Clip(analysis) then it only works with vector data.  If you need to clip a raster, you need to use Clip(Data Management).

If that is not your problem, I would try the Extract by Mask, tool, you can use vector data for the mask. 

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Check the processing extents. Sometimes, for some unknown reason, the processing extents can be changed. When this happens the results from any raster processing can be clipped to the limits of the processing extents. If that happens, you only see part of the results or no results. A telltale sign is getting no results or results that have vertical and/or horizontal limits. Puzzled me for a long time.

Go to the "Geoprocessing" menu> "Environments..." > "Processing Extent".  Under Processing Extent choose a layer that you know covers the full  extent of the waters you are processing and click OK.
JingTao1
New Contributor

Your answer has surely helped me solve the issue I was running into. Thanks!

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
Mark

I think the issue was more that the raster would not come up in the clip tool as a feature to be clipped, not that the clip itself was not successful.

Edit: This isn't my problem, I was trying to help
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Ah... Ok.

Did the  the Extract by Mask tool work? If not, try converting the tif file to another raster format.
0 Kudos