Table To Polyline?

07-16-2021 12:24 PM
Labels (2)
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

I have a shapefile of 25 unique route segments

and a table of nine different combinations of these unique segments to comprise nine different routes (59 segments total, so some unique segments naturally appear more than once).

So, the routes table shows that Route 1 is made up of segments 1, 2, and 3; Route 2 is made up of segments 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6; etc.

I was thinking I could (somehow) join the geometry from the route segments shapefile to the full routes table such that I could then easily dissolve by the route ID to arrive at a layer of the nine routes where some sections of the routes overlap.

I ended up just selecting the nine combinations one by one and pasting them into a new blank "full routes" shapefile upon which I ran a dissolve to condense them into nine routes, but is there a functional way to do the step just above?

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a job for ModelBuilder with a unique values iterator, with the Dissolve and Append tools included in the model.

This would be a great little project for my students, anyway you could share me your dataset? PM me if you can!