Splitting a Polyline - help?

10-04-2012 02:43 PM
DanBurrell
New Contributor
Hi All

First time poster, long time reader

I am attempting to break up a polyline so i can give an attribute to each segment
I am attempting to edit a layer ( which I created ) of a single stream from a whole layer of streams

However when I attempt either to manually split or split using the Editor -> Split command as per the help it doesn't work as I expect.

I want to split a line AND have both pieces of the line as independent lines, At the moment, the part I split disappears entirely....leaving me with the rest of the line.
The more I split the more that disappears...

What I am doing wrong here?

Overall.jpg show my single river in red.
Before shows me about to split the line
and After shows afterwards?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kdunlop

Does your layer have any query definition?  If it does, when you split it, it might not meet the criteria for the layer.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Have you tried using the Split Line at Vertices Tool?

This tool creates a feature class containing lines that are generated by splitting the input lines at their vertices and should not delete any of the segments.

Split Line At Vertices (Data Management)
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00170000003z000000

The tool is located at: ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features > Split Line at Vertices
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jthompson88

Just to build on Kevin's suggestion:  Also check your criteria for symbolizing this layer.  If you are symbolizing based on "Categories" and only lines greater than a certain length is to be displayed, this may account for the "disappearing" line segment.

Josh
0 Kudos
MarikaDobos
New Contributor
I had the exact same question.  Since my license is not advanced, I do not have the tool in ArcToolbox to split the polyline.  I am trying to splice a polyline to a stream layer and would like all of the attributes to be identical for the two new lines without a peice disappearing. The lines are fairly long so not sure if the length is an issue. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: j.quinn

I switched my license to Basic and I'm still able to use the Split tool from the Editor dropdown menu.  It does what it's supposed to; split a line by any of the options I set.  Are you unable to use this tool for some reason?
0 Kudos