Silly Question: Where did my Create Features Window go?

09-27-2012 12:04 PM
AnnaleaMcMillan
New Contributor
I'm using ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop. Usually the Create Features window opens automatically when I start an editing session but all of a sudden it disappeared. I tried stopping and re-starting the editing session, opening a new map altogether...it just disappeared on me.

I'm sure this is an incredibly stupid question with a very obvious answer. Any help is appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm pretty sure the case is that if you close the Create Features window, it'll retain those settings and keep it closed whenever you're in an edit session, but I may be wrong.  Either way, go to the Editor drop down menu > Editing Windows > Create Features.
MartinFeuchtwanger
New Contributor

I'm new to learning ArcMap. My tutorial said "In the Create Features window, click..." but i didn't see it either. Following your (JQ) suggestion, Create Features under Editing Windows was greyed out! Then i happened to notice that Create Features was located as an icon-and-title, way down in the bottom right of my ArcMap window.

0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Yes, this was a change to the Create Features window and other editing windows for ArcGIS 10.1. This way, if you are only editing attributes, for example, you don't have to keep closing the Create Features window every time you start editing. As Jonathan said, you can reopen them from the Editor menu, and a few windows, including Create Features, have a button directly on the Editor toolbar.

From the What's new in Editing in 10.1:
In ArcGIS 10.0, the Create Features window opened automatically at the start of every edit session to help familiarize editors with the new environment. With ArcGIS 10.1, it opens for the very first edit session; after that, the window retains its previous state of being docked, pinned, or closed. For example, if you close the Create Features window because you are only editing existing features or attribute values, it will still be closed the next time you start editing�??even in a different map or ArcMap session. When you need the window, display it again from the Editor toolbar. This framework change has been applied to all windows used in the editing environment, such as the Attributes or the Edit Sketch Properties windows. If any editing-related windows are open when you are not in an edit session, the windows are shown in gray to indicate they are inactive.
0 Kudos
AnnaleaMcMillan
New Contributor
Thank you both! This was very helpful.
0 Kudos