show categorical data from excel file with different colours in GIS map

01-29-2016 08:08 AM
MariaLathouri
New Contributor

Hi all, I am trying to show categorical data with XY coordinates from an excel file (I have the ID column, 2-3 columns with the categorical data and the XY columns) in a GIS map. I have added my spreadsheet in gis, I right-clicked Display XY data, I could see all the points with one colour. But when I went to symbology-categories-specify the field with the categorical data-add all values, I changed the colour and size for each category (however there was a question mark in the count column) and Apply nothing happened. It was still one colour. I tried to open the attribute table but it was blank.

Could you please help me?

Thank you in advance.

Maria

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
I tried to open the attribute table but it was blank.

There are sometimes seemingly random issues with using Excel tables (and XY Event Layers) that can cause this. In Excel, check that there are no spaces in your field names (trailing or leading). Highlight and delete (right-click->delete) all empty columns after your data. Highlight and delete (right-click->delete) all empty rows after your data. Try bringing the points back into ArcMap and Display XY. Check the attribute table. Try exporting the XY Event table to a feature class on disk (right-click->export data). Check the attribute table. Try applying your symbology.

0 Kudos