Shapefile Georeference

04-25-2014 08:31 AM
SungHong
New Contributor
Hello,

I am a total newbie in GIS. Learned this software on the job and there are sooo much i still don't understand yet so bare with me guys.

I was given a MDB file with all the layers in it and my job is to make polygons of new construction sites or renovations of structures. I created a new shapefile and went to work.

My next step is to create an offset of the polygons that i have made. I can't really seem to find the offset tool in ArcGIS 9.3, so i figure i'll just make it in AutoCAD  and bring it back into GIS.

When i export the shapefile along with another layer for reference into CAD, the shapefile is scaled differently and the location is waaaaay off compared to the reference layer.

I figure it's a problem with the geospatial data with the shapefile, but being the newbie that i am, I don't even know where to look, to find, compare, and link the data of the shapefile with the MDB file.

I would really appreciate any help to linking the geospatial data of my shapefile to the MDB file.

OR, If you know of a way to offset the shapefile polygons without even having to go into AutoCAD, that would be even better.

I work with ArcGIS 9.3, Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SungHong
New Contributor
Nevermind, you can close this thread.

Googled it and used ArcCatalog to change the coordinate system of the shapefile to match the .MDB file's coordinate system.

Only trouble i had, was finding the exact coordinate system of the .MDB within the predefined coordinate system files.
0 Kudos