Set Symbol Level per Subtype

11-03-2011 10:12 AM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III
Greetings-

I am trying some new things in ArcMap that I am not sure how to do yet. I have a feature class from a File Geodatabase in a .MXD file called SERVICE_LOCATIONS. Within that feature class, I have a few subtypes (Meter_Pack, Single_Meter, Temp Meter and Primary_Meter). What I want to be able to do is have the symbols per subtype show up at different zoom levels. Example: I want to have the Single_Meter subtype show up at a zoom level of 1:2000 and as you zoom into around 1:750 - the meters with a subtype of Meter_Pack shows up/appears.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoshuaDamron
Occasional Contributor III
Stumbled onto this post, I hope you found an answer to your issue by now, if not then I think that the tools you are looking for can be found in setting visible scale ranges for your layers.  Symbol Levels are the visual stacking of symbols within the same layer in the .mxd, Visible scale range is the toggling on/off of a layers visiblity. 

You can read about it here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s500000008000000.

Depending on the number of symbols we are talking about, this is not a quick and simple solution.  To make this work you will have to bring your feature class into the .mxd multiple times creating multiple layers from the one layer.  You can then symbolize each layer as one of your sub types.  You will then set the Max/Min visible scale range for each layer.

You can speed up this process a little bit by pulling in your feature class and setting the symbology for all the sub types.  Once your base symbology is set, right click copy and paste this same layer in the Table of Contents as many times as you need to.  Then remove the undesired sub types from each of the many layers you just pasted.  Now set your visible scale ranges for each layer.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos