Selection

11-22-2014 06:56 AM
LisaJermann
New Contributor

Hello everybody!

I have a huge database with sightings from whales and dolphins.

Now I want to sort them and want to make it easy for people to select in this content between e.g. the different whale types and the different years and so on. So I was thinikng about that their is for each year a single layer. But that should be something like a query. Because if their is a "new year" for example 2015 than I have no layer for this year. Thats the problem if i would do it manually.

I have no idea how to sort this problem.

Have you any Idea how to make it in ArcGIS?

Would be very thankful for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
CattyannCampbell
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks

for passing on the model shots

0 Kudos
LisaJermann
New Contributor

Wow that hepled a lot. Thank you very much for your effort.

That sounds like the best way.

So the hole thing is a little bit tricky. The association don't have somedbody for running the GIS, they need it just now and then for some nice maps for their reports and their researches once a year. So they acctualy have no licence and I'm just writing my bachelor thesis about how to solve their problems and so on.

So I have a 1 year licence for my bachelor thesis. There will be none multiple access to the GIS till now and I think in the next future also not.

With the database it is worse. The association in Germany gets the hole database from the canary islands and they added just manually from sheets they wrote on the sightings into excel. So their will be no multiple users for arc Gis nore the excel sheet.

After my Bachelor thesis I will transfer them my ArcGIS "data" or project and the next intern will maybe do something with it and just want to update the database and then the new data should be sorted out in layers for new year, species and so on.

So I know their is a lot of controversial things going on their but I just get this task from my professor and should solve it some way. I think that is the best way because a nother task for the bachelor thesis is a database connection and so I think that would work great with the model builder.

Maybe now it is a little bit clearer what my or the problem of the association is because of the questions that I should ask me

Thank you so much for your help

0 Kudos