Select to view content in your preferred language

Security and Permissions Best Practices for ArcSDE on SQL Server

06-28-2012 08:47 AM
KevinMorrissey
Deactivated User
I have a few specific issues with out process of migrating ArcSDE dbs from one server to another, but generally speaking, Are there resources for a medium level explanation of best practices for secuirty models.  I understand the general concepts, OS Authenticate vs DB\SQL AUthentication, and grouping as readers, editors and administrators, but I am getting over my head with how a user (who is in a group), comes in through a group, is assigned role, and requires a schema. 
I am a local admin on my server machine, and have two dbs that I manage.  I have alway used WIndows AUthentication as my own username, and all my data sets that i have imported, created, etc. are in the "dbo" schema.

I have recently backed, up, and restored to a new server, set compatability, and resynched the "sde" account. I am not unable to create data.  I tried to export a feature to a new featureclass within, and error message indiacates I am trying to write to master.dbo.testfc instead of sde.dbo.testfc.  Not sure what I did or failed to do.

Also have a second user who has been editing successfully on old server (Above), who has always mapped to his username, and on the new server after setup, he is not appearing as (when he creates a version, the version owner is) "guest".  He still has edit rights as he should but the versions started on the old server are unavailable to him now.

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
A few things worth considering:

Use database authentication.
I wouldn't have the SDE user own any data.  My user owns the data.
If you or any of your users will create data, schema and user name must be the same.

I'm assuming you are using SQL Server as your backend; if so this thread might be of interest to you.

For what it's worth, you are not alone singing the 'GIS Guy gets saddled with server admin duties' blues.  My gray hair numbers have gone through the roof recently.  Here are a couple of threads of mine:

On Schemas
On SDE schema.

Best of luck; I'm sure a couple more folks will reply.  I'm not going to mention any names, but [cough.. VINCE! you out there?] there's a lot of folks more knowledgeable than me that can shine some good light on the subject.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos