Select to view content in your preferred language

problem with feature classes in geodb

07-24-2011 02:37 AM
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
Hello,
I'm attending a Master's degree in G.I.S. in Italy and I'm studying in a book that a professor gave me.
This book is "getting to know ArcGis" written by Ormsby, Napoleon, Burke, Groessl and Bowden and there is Esri press.
I don't manage to visualize the geodatabase's files of the exercises in the cd, because in the book there's a cd included with exercise, but in ArcCatalog and obviously also in ArcMap I don't see anything, meanwhile in the book there is written that inside the geodb of the exercises there are many feature classes: e.g., in C:\ESRIPress\GTKArcGIS\Chapter04\Data\World.mdb, in the world.mdb there should be 4 feature classes (cities, countries, disapp_area and worl30) that unfortunately I don't manage to see in my computer.
Also in the other exercises of the cd I have this problem, in the geodb. This could be due to the fact that I have installed the ArcGis 9.3 version instead of ArcGis 10 (because the book is for ArcGis 10). If not, could you tell me where I can find and download these files, please? I'm sorry for my english not so good and I hope you've understood my problem.
Best regards
Giacomo Rossi
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkShymanski
New Contributor III
I think you've answered your own question when you say that the version 10 files will not open in 9.3.  I would check your library to see if they have a copy of the older version. Perhaps your advisor has the old version as well.  Would it be possible for you to upgrade from 9.3 to 10?
0 Kudos
ByungwooCho
New Contributor
Please check the CDs that you distributed with your book, "getting to know ArcGIS desktop, 3rd edition."

And, recognize your fault and do someting to solve it !!!
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Giacomo -

A few options to consider -

ArcGIS for Home Use Program (Version 10.0) - http://www.esri.com/arcgis-for-home/index.html
ArcGIS for Desktop Free 60-day Trial - http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop/60-day-trial.html

Good luck!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos