Points to Polygons Spatial Join Fails

03-22-2015 02:11 PM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Geonet Members,

I've been using ArcGIS for a long time but I never encountered such a problem before.

I have a polygon layer showing buildings (26525 polygons) and a point layer which

has land-use information of a part of the buildings (299 points).

Please note that each point falls inside the associated polygon. I simply performed spatial

join and  expected that each polygon representing buildings would be given all the attributes of

the point. However, all buildings  were given all the attributes of the points not only 299 buildings.

I repeated the same procedure for several times but ended up with no luck.

I would appreciate if you could kindly share your suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

- O. Saygin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Without relying on visuals, can you confirm the coordinate system by looking at it AND each layers extents to ensure that one or the other has not been inappropriately defined? 

Also try an Intersect to see what that does (intersect the points with the polygons)

0 Kudos
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your comment and suggestion. The coordinate system of both layers

is same which is WGS 1984 Zone 35 N. I also checked each layer's extents and

found that they are different. I'm not so clear but are you saying extents of both

layers should be the same ?

I tried to intersect the points with the polygons but I got two error messages;

1) `The table was not found.`

2) ` Invalid Topology [Z coord limit exceeded.]

Failed to execute (Intersect)

Regards

- O.Saygin

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

when I mean the extents being the same, I mean that one layer is inside or intersects with another.  This will be obvious if one layer doesn't even overlap the other as would be the case when one file is in UTM coordinates and the other in decimal degrees EVEN though both are defined as UTM.  So, if they don't overlap/Intersect then something is amiss.  Which Is why I suggested using the Intersect tool in ArcToolbox since you can produce a point file and optionally carry over the polygon attributes

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos