Opening DWG file with no success

05-23-2016 03:35 AM
SonjaS
by
New Contributor

Hi!

I need an advice about opening DWG file in ArcMap 10.0

since now I didn't have problems opening DWG files, but now I received a DWG file that doen't open in ArcGis.

I tried to convert it with multiple converters - Teigha, ReaConverter with no success.

The problem is, that DWG consist of lines - please see picture below, I can't explain it. (picture is taken from Global Mapper).

Screenshot 2016-05-23 12.23.23.png

As you see there aren't polygons as they should be to import DWG to ArcMap.
Where is the problem? In AutoCAD export settings?

Thank you, Sonja.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

that looks like it wasn't properly created/exported

0 Kudos
SonjaS
by
New Contributor

So the solution is to open the file in AutoCAD and then export it with different settings?
As I'm not familiar with AutoCAD, can you tell me how to export file to get result that I can use in arcMap?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't use cad, but I do know that arcmap does everything it can to read a cad file, and if it can't, it won't

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sonja,

The issue I often see is that the polygons are not "closed" in CAD. When they aren't closed (as shapes), they do not come in as polygons. Can you verify that these areas are closed and denoted as "complex shapes" (I believe that is the terminology that is used in AutoCAD)?

Another question, was this CAD data always in AutoCAD? Or was it in another CAD program, then moved to AutoCAD? I find that this conversion can sometimes blow up the polygons as well, for some reason.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

I am not familiar with Global Mapper, but I think that you should to export your DWG file in 2004 format to make sure that will not cause any problem.

If you don't see polygons , then you should to open DWG file in AutoCAD program and make all layer open ( all light is open) and save the file before close.

Try that

0 Kudos