Nothing in Attribute Table for dwg layers

04-12-2013 07:08 AM
JonKalantar
New Contributor
Hi all,

I'm trying to import a CAD dwg file into ArcMap but when I do I don't see anything appear in the display. Also, the attribute tables for each layer (point, polyline, etc.) don't have any entries in them. Why is this happening??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
What steps are you taking to add the DWG file?

You should be able to simply add the dwg to an ArcMap session simply by using the Add Data Button.

When you add the DWG do you already have other features open in your session.  IF you do and you don't see your DWG try this.

Hit the Full Extent Button.  If it zooms way out you have an unreferenced drawing.

If you go to full extent and it does not zoom way out...

Start a brand new ArcMap session.  Add the DWG all by itself.  Do you see it now?

Chances are your DWG is simply NOT georeferenced or not georeferenced properly.  Meaning that it is not situated in the real world.  That and it might not be to proper scale.

I once converted a DWG for a client to ArcGIS.  Turned out the DWG was scaled so small that the entire system which should have been 30 miles across was about an inch in the real world.  It only appeared as a little dot.

Hi all,

I'm trying to import a CAD dwg file into ArcMap but when I do I don't see anything appear in the display. Also, the attribute tables for each layer (point, polyline, etc.) don't have any entries in them. Why is this happening??
0 Kudos
JonKalantar
New Contributor
Even when I start a blank map and add the dwg data it doesn't show up. It must be that the drawing isn't georeferenced? How can I fix that?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If nothing shows up there are a couple possible explanations.

1 There is a huge phantom feature that you cannot see that is zooming you way out.

Add the dwg right click on the polyline later and open the Table.  Select a bunch of features and zoom to them.

Do you zoom to some polylines.  Start zooming out from there and do you see your data?

2 the DWG does not have anything in it.  Did you export it first as a shape file or simply open it as a DWG in arcmap

Even when I start a blank map and add the dwg data it doesn't show up. It must be that the drawing isn't georeferenced? How can I fix that?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JonKalantar
New Contributor
That's another one of my issues: there's no feature in the attribute tables. I'm importing directly as a dwg file into arcmap. And it definitely has a drawing in it when I open it in Autocad.
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
What version of AutoCAD is the file?  If it is 2013, that's the issue.  2013 isn't supported in the current release.  If it isn't 2013, why don't you attach a copy of the file so we can take a look.

That's another one of my issues: there's no feature in the attribute tables. I'm importing directly as a dwg file into arcmap. And it definitely has a drawing in it when I open it in Autocad.
0 Kudos
JonKalantar
New Contributor
That must be the issue! The file IS 2013. Is there a way to convert the file back? Like compatibility mode or something?
0 Kudos
RoxanneWilson
New Contributor III

Is there a way to know what software version created the AutoCAD file?  i'm having a similar issue where the attribute tables show no features in ArcMap, but when opened in AutoCAD Lt, there are features.  We have tried exporting to earlier versions to no avail.  There must be a setting in AutoCAD that is not allowing the features to be visible in ArcMap.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
JonKalantar
New Contributor
Never mind, got it! Thanks all!
0 Kudos
AlexandreNeto1
New Contributor

Jon Kalantar escreveu:

Never mind, got it! Thanks all!

How do you did it?

0 Kudos